Greenopoly: wanna play?
Yesterday's The Oregonian's Home and Garden section had an eye-catching cover featuring the word "Greenopoly" and a striking resemblance to the Monopoly board game. Whatever it was, my kids wanted to play immediately. So Cheap-o-Dad and I made up the game on the fly. We started asking multiple choice questions about green living. Here's a few examples:
Q: You've outgrown all of your 5-year-old clothes. What do you do with them?
- Put them in the compost pile
- Throw them away
- Take them to Hoot-n-Annie so some other kids can wear them
Q: You're brushing your teeth. What do you do?
- Turn the water on full blast and let it run down the drain while you are brushing
- Fill up a drinking cup and turn the water off and rinse with the water from the cup
- Dip your toothbrush in the potty to rinse it (ewwwww!!!!)
Q: You're invited to a birthday party. What do you bring the birthday boy?
- A bucket of fresh compost
- A brand-new, loud, battery-sucking singing plastic Elmo toy
- Some books and toys that have already been played with and read
You get the idea. We all had a blast. We laughed and asked questions and played until bedtime. Try it with your kids. The sillier the better.